9.27.2011

2nd Child Syndrome

As Caroline turns 3Months today I have to sit down and apologize to her for allowing her to get the "2nd Child Syndrome"...maybe some families are better at warding off this syndrome, but for me, its here and so is the guilt. Here are the symptoms:
1. Very few "for caroline only" toys/books/ as most of the toys/equipment we have are now her hand-me-downs from trey. i know it doesn't economically make sense to go and buy her new stuff when we have it, but at the same time i do feel guilty that everything was new for trey.
2. Not many pictures or long blog post about her. I have been able to keep up with the photos, however they either have trey in them or its just a photo and not a drawn out, indepth, very detailed description of what she is doing.
3. "just for a second" i set Caroline down alot. She likes her bouncy seat or her playmat and In order to get things done with trey I tend to set her down quite often, and she is sooo nice about it. She hardly ever complains. Pretty sure i held trey 24hours a day.
4. "flexible'' I claim that Caroline is so flexible, easy-going, go with the flow, but is she really? Or have we just made her that way bc well, we have to be on the go because of our schedules, and more so Trey's Schedule...his life hasn't slowed down with a new baby, instead we have made her fit into our schedules and routines...we never did that with Trey we def. "babied" him waaaaaaaaaaay more than this baby.

I give my Mom a hard time about favorites and now i totally get it. Its not about favorites its about with one child you have waaaayyy more TIME than with 2 and so on....The First Child gets alot of TIME and "first'':: first toys, first oohss and ahhs, never having to had share the attention or affection of Mom + Dad. However, Caroline may get less TIME alone, but she gets more TIME with all of us: me, daddy and trey who all love her to moon and back.And spending alot of TIME with us is a good thing! She knows she is loved by us.

Maybe its different with siblings that  are born closer in age as they are doing the same things and are on the same page or siblings who are 4 to 5 years apart as the oldest is by then is usually more self sufficient than Trey is at 2 1/2, however, with T + C being 2 1/2 years apart they are not in "sync" as far as their daily lives go.  Which makes this balancing act in my mind, slightly more difficult, from an attention stand point that is.

to my baby sister, i get it. Sorry for not getting it before...but i understand now.  Look how close we are, probably bc you had to spend alot of TIME with me and for that I am not sorry. I am not sorry in the slightest for all the TIME we spent together: even if that meant you got jipped on photos, new toys, hand me down bikes/roller skates, I wouldn't change how close we are and the TIME we spent growing up for anything. I hope you concur.  I only hope I can create that with Trey + Caroline.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones