4.21.2009

Lola's Update

Dear Friends and Family:

Many of you have been so kind and concerned about our precious pug, Lola.  Thank you.  I know you all have many things going on in your own lives and we appreciate all of you taking time to "worry" and "pray" for Lola. I am trying to remind myself, "She is just a dog". But then I think, "But she's MY DOG, and my constant companion and its "OK" to be this upset.  

We just returned from our Doctor Visit.  While my sweet and loving husband, always the optimist( which is one of the traits I love most about him), is trying to make me feel better, today I want to grieve and tomorrow I will look at the "silver lining".  

On the "up side" Lola does not have a brain tumor and should lead a relatively long life.  On the "down side" she has been diagnosed with SARDS:  Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration.

  In a nutshell, the dog, predominantly females, suddenly falls completely blind.   We do not know a cause and there is NO treatment or cure.  I think if I had a few weeks or even months to slowly see her lose her eyesight  it would be more tolerable but the sudden severity, like a lightswitch, I went to sleep and the next morning my sweet baby pug was blind, is really hard to handle.  The good news is that she is in no pain.  Although, very very confused and scared as we humans would be if we suddenly lost our sight. We love our Lola and we will learn how to "teach" her the ropes of being blind and how to find her way around without being scared.  We will do all we can to take away her confusion and make her feel confident about resuming her "Old Ways" ex: getting around the house, up and down the stairs, finding her food and water, playing with other dogs, walking on a leash.  All this in time, we will help her to do.  

Having Trey, my C-Section complications, and the blindness of my dog all in 5 weeks has been trying.  However, the one reason I know without a doubt that I"m a Christian is because I find strength in knowing that God gives me only what He knows I can handle. Believing that, challenges and invokes me to take this development and do the best I can. This knowledge, faith and trust in God empowers me to rise above and meet this issue with grace and submission.
Love to all,
Allison

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones